Summary Bio

I have a long list of illnesses (see it here). In 1995 at age fifteen I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis (a disease of the large intestine), and I lived with it for seventeen years. In 2010, it spread and advanced to a severe diagnosis. I spent a year on a roller-coaster of intensive immunosuppressive drug therapies, only to end up requiring surgery to remove my large intestine and replace it with a j-pouch. After surviving three surgeries, I developed Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, the most debilitating illness of all. (Read "Myalgic Encephalomyelitis" and "The Spoon Theory" to understand more.) Below are the detailed accounts of my ups and downs on this journey.

Monday, June 11, 2018

Choosing Tools = Empowerment

As I come to terms with my own changing limitations, I am learning to make my shrinking world more functional.   I have to be able to run my life from bed if need be.  After being inspired by a bedbound fellow M.E. warrior in the UK, I put my retired teacher skills to work.
Pacing is crucial to patients with ME. If we over do it one day, we could potentially cause a hard crash, severe symptom flare, and/or permanent decline and progression of our disease.   Therefore, learning how to function without over-exerting ourselves it is critical.
I discovered that one of the areas in which I struggle the most when I crash is communication. So I have to figure out ways to communicate other than speaking.   And because  we can lose function in big chunks all at once and with no warning, I have to be prepared  for what happens when I get even worse. 
Take a look at the photos below to see all of the new pacing and communication systems that I have recently put into place.
I have been fortunate enough to find and be able to afford some tools to help me function from Stickman Communications as well as Amazon Shopping, but many of these can also be recreated at home from recycled materials.  See how creative you can get...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to post comments or questions. Feedback welcome.